Monday, January 3, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

2 slices of white bread (I have used wheat)
¼ cup milk ( I use soy milk)
3 Tablespoons butter
½ cup onion, chopped
1 tsp kosher salt (I use sea salt)
1 lb hamburger
1 lb pork sausage
2 large egg yolks
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp all spice
¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ cup flour
3 cups beef broth
¼ cup heavy cream

Tear bread in pieces in mixer with milk
In sauté pan sweat onion with 1 tblsp butter
Pour onions into mixer than add hamburger, pork, egg yolks, salt pepper, allspice and nutmeg.  Mix well.
Roll into 1 oz meatballs
Heat remaining butter in large pan and add meatballs.  Cook on all sides until cooked through.  Remove to a dish and place in oven
Decrease heat and add flour, whisk for about 1 minute and slowly add broth then cream until gravy reaches desired consistency.

I make a few changes to this recipe.  I use soy, rice or almond milk and I also use it in the pan when making gravy instead of the heavy cream.  I also take some of the meat mixture and cook it in the pan for the gravy.  I broil the meatballs instead of cooking them in butter in a frying pan and it takes about 10 minutes per cookie sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment